I believe that God's desire is for all of those who follow him to be involved in his global mission of bringing life, hope and restoration to all peoples.
Here are some reasons why I give to missions. What reasons do you have?
- Knowing Jesus Christ is the only pathway to God. Jesus said that “no one comes to the Father except through Me” (John 14.6, ESV). “No one” will be saved without Jesus … including those our missionaries work to reach.
- “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few. Therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to sendout laborers into his harvest”, says Jesus in Matthew 9.37-38 (ESV). And it seems only right, doesn’t it, that if we are going to ask God to send missionaries, we should be willing to support them.
- God has blessed us so we can bless the nations with Jesus. There’s a reason why God made you and me Christians in America; so that we’d have more money than most of the world … to sink into missionary purposes! “God blesses us, that all the ends of the earth may fear Him” (Psalm 67.7, ESV)!
- If we neglect God’s work, moths will eat our money! Not literally, perhaps … but money has a way of disappearing when God’s people use it unwisely. Therefore … “lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal” (Matthew 6.20, ESV).
- Missions is a fool-proof investment. God promises that people “from every nation, from all tribes and peoples and languages” will worship Jesus in heaven (Revelation 7.9, ESV). The task will be accomplished, and therefore your money will not be wasted! That’s more than we can say for Wall Street!
- Sacrificial giving is rewarded. When we give greatly to something greatly worthwhile, God returns our generosity with joy, and often with more resources for more generosity! “Whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully” (2 Corinthians 9.6, ESV)!
- I am a Christian because someone was sent. And in return, I want to ensure that as many other ‘missionaries’ as possible are sent to those who have yet to hear the gospel. Supporting our mission efforts ensures that staff can be hired to train and inspire more disciples to effectively share and spread the good news of Jesus.
How much impact can your faithful giving this year have on a lost and hurting world?